Flexibility and Sustainability: EDS must provide for the long-term financial sustainability of the School.
Progress Toward Goals (back to Progress2015)
- Under the direction of a new Director of Communications and Marketing, EDS launched: a new, engaging website; three e-newsletters targeted to different audiences of EDS with consistent branding and design that directs readers to appropriate information on the website; a completely redesigned magazine called EDS Now which communicates news of EDS and themes of the conversations that are taking place on campus; and the annual Honor Roll of Donors has been renamed Annual Impact Report and will highlight ways in which contributions make a difference at EDS as well as thanking donors.
- A process to refine the identity, imaging, and marketing materials for EDS is underway.
- EDS leadership, faculty, students, and volunteers were available at all times at a booth in seminary row at the 2012 General Convention of The Episcopal Church, and the School organized a reception for all interested in EDS where a new promotional video about the School and its mission was debuted.
- EDS continued meetings with Church and Communion leaders such as Archbishop Sentamu, the House of Bishops, as well as individual bishops and Church leaders. Dean Ragsdale worked with Deans Joseph Britton of Berkeley Divinity School at Yale and Ian S. Markham of Virginia Theological Seminary to prepare for Council of Deans meeting at the House of Bishops.
- EDS has hired and/or promoted professional talent in the areas of financial management, business development, information technology, office of the registrar, financial aid. In addition, members of the Student Services Center of the School were cross-trained in an effort to provide the students with the highest level of customer service.
- A new Dean of Students and Community Life was hired and a new position of International Ministries and Pastoral Care Associate was created. The latter was created in partnership with the Diocese of Massachusetts and is an internal consultant to EDS in the office of the Dean of Students and Community Life, providing support and services to international students; serving as a liaison between international students, local congregations, and the diocese; and is a member of the School’s pastoral team.
- There have been numerous Information Technology (IT) and Physical Plant upgrades and a system for prioritizing deferred maintenance has been established.
- EDS has adopted an Archives Collection Policy proposed by an ad hoc committee of experts and faculty and staff and has appointed a standing Archives Committee. This policy along with an institutional records management retention schedule will help assure that EDS and its Archives will accurately record and reflect the history and development of the institution.
- Initiatives have been established to further engage current and former leaders of the School in institutional advancement and outreach: the Leadership Council, a Committee on Former Trustees, an Annual Fund Leadership Committee, and the Alumni/ae Executive Committee shepherding program with Class Agents.
- EDS renovated and re-furnished a student lounge area in Burnham Hall to allow accessible space for all students to relax and unwind.
- EDS is committed to ensuring that students with young children experience the breadth and depth of all that EDS has to offer and is therefore investigating ways to supplement or provide childcare for evening classes or meetings, Spiritual Direction Groups, Worship, or any of the myriad activities that are offered so that every student can participate fully.